We have an answer to all of your questions.

To access the client portal at any time, visit www.smarttaxadvisor.com and click on “Client Portal” at the top.
  • Usernameyour e-mail address
  • Passwordone you created
    • Hint: Passwords are cAsE sEnSiTiVe and must contain both upper and lowercase letters and a number. Your password is NOT the same as your PIN
If you forget your password, please click “Forgot Password” at log-in, and a new scrambled password will be e-mailed to you from our portal’s no-reply e-mail address, Paul.Dion.CPA@atomanager.com
It may ask for your social security number to confirm your identity when resetting your password. If so, please enter the SS# of the first person listed on the tax return.
How to E-Sign:
1. Log into the portal and click on “Get a Copy of My Tax Return
2. Click “E-Sign Required” next to your “Signature Set” & follow the instructions below:
  • CLIENT: (1st person listed on the tax return)
    • Enter Your Name as you would sign legal documents
    • Client’s Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY format)
    • PIN (last 5 of client’s SSN)
    • Social Security Number (entire SSN, no dashes)
    • Zip Code
  • SPOUSE: (2nd person listed on the return)
    • Enter your name as you would sign legal documents
    • Spouse’s Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY format)
    • PIN (last 5 of spouse’s SSN)
    • Social Security Number (entire SSN, no dashes)
    • Zip Code
  • ENTITY(corporate returns, partnerships, etc)
    • Enter Your Personal Name as you would sign legal documents
    • Date of Birth (see narrative next to “Signature Set” on portal)
    • PIN (last 5 of entity’s EIN)
    • Social Security Number (entire EIN, no dash)
    • Zip Code

-Click “E-Sign.”

*NOTE: If you are having trouble e-signing, please download your Signature Set by clicking on the blue file name link. 
Then, printsign, and return the appropriate e-file authorization pages (both federal & state, if applicable) to our office one of the following ways:
1. scan & upload to portal
2. fax to 508-630-9008
3. mail to our Millbury office:
Paul Dion CPA
22 West St. #6
Millbury, MA 01527
DO NOT mail signature pages to the IRS! They will shred them. We need them in our files.

Currently, the only documents that can be electronically signed on the portal are the signature pages for your income tax return, called the “Signature Set” (see “How to E-Sign Your Tax Return” above).

We are in the process of looking into other programs, such as DocuSign, as a way for our clients to easily e-sign all other documents on the portal, such as Power of Attorney Forms, S-Corp Election Forms, our Engagement Letter, and so on.  However, we do not yet have that in place — stay tuned!

If you receive an IRS or DOR letter, please upload a copy (include all pages) to our secure client portal.

Please DO NOT send IRS letters through email! By doing so, you put yourself at risk for Identity Theft. Please use our secure Client Portal (see access instructions above) to send us your documents or fax it to us at 508-630-9008.

Paul cannot discuss the letter with you until he has had a chance to review it, and we cannot help you without seeing a copy of the letter itself. Please do not attempt to read the letter to us over the phone or to “recap” the letter in a message.

Once Paul has reviewed the letter, he will determine the next course of action. Paul may reply to the IRS on your behalf, or he may instruct you what to do next.

Be sure to sign up for the Gold Tax Maintenance Program so that all IRS and DOR letters and audits are covered at no additional cost to you.


Oh crap.  You just found out you are going to owe an arm and maybe a leg to Uncle Sam this year, and April 15 is just a few days away!

Do you have any clue how you’re going to come up with the money?  What if you just don’t have it?

First of all, if you are getting this surprise, you are not giving your accountant enough information throughout the year to be much of a help to you.  Be proactive about this stuff, and help us to hold you accountable (pun intended). Also, beware that filing an extension won’t help, as there is no extension to pay, only an extension of time to file. Your taxes are still due by April 15th, even if you don’t file your tax return until October.

Here’s is what the IRS recommends if you need more time to pay:

  • File On Time! People who owe taxes but can’t pay the full amount owed by the April deadline should still file their return on time and pay as much as they can to avoid penalties and interest.  If you can’t pay the full amount, you should contact the IRS to ask about alternative payment options.  Late-filing penalties are worse than late payment penalties, so at a minimum, file that tax return!
  • Additional Time to Pay. Based on your circumstances, you may be granted a short additional time to pay your tax in full.  A brief additional amount of time to pay can be requested through the Online Payment Agreement application at IRS.gov or by calling 800-829-1040.  Taxpayers who request and are granted an additional 30 to 120 days to pay the tax in full generally will pay less in penalties and interest than if the debt were repaid through an installment agreement over a greater period of time.
  • Installment Agreement. You can apply for an IRS installment agreement using the Web-based Online Payment Agreement application on IRS.gov.  This Web-based application allows taxpayers who owe $25,000 or less in combined tax, penalties and interest to self-qualify, apply for, and receive immediate notification of approval.  You may also complete and submit a Form 9465, make your request in writing, or call 1-800-829-1040 to make your request.  For balances over $25,000, you are required to complete a financial statement to determine the monthly payment amount for an installment plan. For more complete information, see the IRS article on payment plans here: https://www.irs.gov/payments/payment-plans-installment-agreements
  • Pay by Credit Card or Debit Card. You can charge your taxes on your American Express, MasterCard, Visa or Discover credit cards.  Additionally, you can pay by using your debit card.  However, the debit card must be a Visa Consumer Debit Card, or a NYCE, Pulse or Star Debit Card.  To pay by credit card or debit card, contact one of the service providers at its telephone number or Web site listed below and follow the instructions.  There is no IRS fee for credit or debit card payments, but the processing companies charge a convenience fee or flat fee.  If you are paying by credit card, the service providers charge a convenience fee based on the amount you are paying.  If you are paying by debit card, the service providers charge a flat fee of $3.89 to $3.95. Do not add the convenience fee or flat fee to your tax payment.

The processing companies are:

Official Payments Corporation To pay by debit or credit card:
888-UPAY-TAX (888-872-9829) www.officialpayments.com/fed

Link2Gov Corporation To pay by debit or credit card:
888-PAY-1040 (888-729-1040) www.pay1040.com

RBS WorldPay, Inc. To pay by debit or credit card:
888-9PAY-TAX (888-972-9829) www.payUSAtax.com


For more information about filing and paying your taxes, visit http://www.IRS.gov and choose 1040 Central or refer to the Form 1040 Instructions or IRS Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax. You can download forms and publications at http://www.IRS.gov or request a free copy by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).